Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Thoughts on Alma

For my study this morning I read Alma 62 in the Book of Mormon and have some thoughts about the following scriptures.

39And thus ended the thirty and first year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi; and thus they had had wars, and bloodsheds, and famine, and affliction, for the space of many years...

...41But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their aafflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility...

...48And the people of Nephi began to aprosper again in the land, and began to multiply and to wax exceedingly strong again in the land. And they began to grow exceedingly rich.
 49But notwithstanding their riches, or their strength, or their prosperity, they were not lifted up in the pride of their eyes; neither were they aslow to remember the Lord their God; but they did humble themselves exceedingly before him.
 50Yea, they did remember how great things the Lord had done for them, that he had adelivered them from death, and from bonds, and from prisons, and from all manner of bafflictions, and he had cdelivered them out of the hands of their enemies.
 51And they did pray unto the Lord their God continually, insomuch that the Lord did bless them, according to his word, so that they did wax strong and aprosper in the land.
I think of how this scripture applies to my life. I think I've grown significantly in a spiritual aspect over the past year as Gabe and I have been hit with many obstacles and decisions for our family. We've been very humbled with a lot of things, it seems, and continue to be humbled on a daily basis. We are in a position that faith is part of survival right now. We can't afford not to have faith and rely on Heavenly Father for guidance and blessings.
I recognize that we go through these kinds of experiences in order to grow and develop our faith. We strengthen our relationship with God because we are compelled to by our circumstances, like the Nephites were when they were run down by war and bloodshed and famine. Relying on God was a way of life because it provided needed blessings and hope for a better future. That better future came and they prospered, but it was important that they still remembered their relationship with Heavenly Father and gave gratitude and continued to pray for blessings. Who wants only to be loved when something is needed?
Life is good for us right now. We are happy. Much of that is due to the fact that I know Heavenly Father is watching out for us and so I know everything will be good, especially if we are doing our part to follow His guidance. 
We also have many hopes for the future when it comes to having more stability for our family (school done, career, insurance, settled into a permanent home, healthier lifestyle, etc). I know those times will come. But I really hope that our relationship with our Heavenly Father does not go lax because we are not as desperate for blessings. In a way, I would miss these times of hardship because our relationship with God is so central to our life right now. But the challenge is not to have to have hardships in order to have a close and happy relationship with Heavenly Father.  

No comments:

Post a Comment