I'm so proud of Felipe. He gave a talk for the first time in church today. Meaning he stood up at a pulpit in front of a hundred people to give a message about a topic he really knows very little about, but was willing to share what he has learned. Nevermind that he got the topic wrong (Brother LeVeque began the meeting by saying that the topic was on "reverence" when we had spent the week preparing a talk on "revelation" Oops). He did awesome. After sacrament meeting Dr. Winn came up to me to get the okay for Felipe to be called as the first counselor in the teacher's quorum presidency.
Gabe mentioned the other day how much Felipe has changed, and how we must support him with that. He reflected on the changes he made at Felipe's age with getting into the church and how he had so much support from Church Lady (as he calls her). Having the gospel completely changed Gabe's life for the better. We are now that support for Felipe. I'm very proud of how he's taken hold and making that "leap of faith" with this church and gospel. I know it will benefit him for the rest of his life and after; the decisions he is making now will affect himself and countless others as he decides what kind of person he wants to be and what kind of life he wants to live. This is one huge reason why Gabe and I wanted to do foster care for these boys, essentially putting off our own life pursuits in the meantime. Four years of providing a stable home during these crucial years will do more for these boys than anything else will for the rest of their lives. It's a small sacrifice considering the gravity of what these boys need during this time of "moulding," which is literally the last chance to make an impression.
I see raising kids as having two chances: once when they are small and another chance right as they are learning to be independent individuals and have the ability to choose who they want to be. Both opportunities provide the highest likelihood of accepting beneficial change.
"O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in they youth to keep the commandments of God." Alma 37:35
I also have been lovin' my little lovins today---Jahno is SO CUTE. Lately his voice has been hoarse. I don't know why that is. He sounds as if he's been crying for three hours straight even though he rarely cries. But he does fancy high-pitched shrieks and squeals more than most babies, I think (from listening to too much James Brown and Led Zepplin?) Is this the beginning of a Rod-Stewart-esque trademark? Should his nickname be Rasp? I just hope he's not suffering from some bizarre form of vocal cord degeneration disease or something. Yet it is just so stinkin' cute anyway.
velociraptor baby!
ReplyDelete