Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Last Sunday...

I was sitting in Church on the back pew scrunched between my hubby and my two foster sons with a bouncy squirrelly baby on my lap. The usual.
I really try to listen, but it seems like Jahno always steals the show. With Gabe, Nate, and Felipe intently looking at Jahno's every move and giving him their full attention and range of facial expression, it was really hard to get anything out of sacrament meeting. Honestly, I was getting annoyed. Not that I don't think Jahno is worthy of every look and smile that comes his way, but I think there is a time and place to make obnoxious baby noises and faces, even if it is under your breath.
I think maybe it's a guy thing.

I asked Gabe to take Jahno out so the likelihood of the entire back half of the chapel paying attention to the wonderful talks being given would rise significantly. Gabe likes spending this time with him, anyway.  

As I was self-righteously trying to get back to listening to the speakers, I couldn't help but look over again out the door toward the side foyer area, where Gabe had taken Jahno. Another first-time father named Andrew, whose son Hudson is the same age as Jahno, had also taken his son out and so both Gabe and Andrew were eagerly watching their sons interact with each other. All four of them were sitting on the floor. 
I looked next to me at Felipe and Nate watching them (because of course it was more interesting watching two nine-month olds going at it than watching a person talking at the pulpit). I realized this was actually a very beautiful moment. Here were two men who looked at their baby sons like they were the world, and just genuinely enjoying their interactions with each other, each man probably secretly thinking his son was the best one because of such-and-such a reason.
Each man really loved his son and was enjoying fatherhood. Each was in Church on Sunday, doing the normal family thing. Knowing they could be with their families forever.

Then I see Felipe. I wonder if he thought of his own father then? I wonder if he thought of his future children or family? I thought the same with Nate.
I hope they remember this moment. Maybe someday they will realize how important this little glimpse of happiness, this truth, is. For them.

No comments:

Post a Comment