So I think maybe it's time to explain the story behind the name of my blog.
Green is somewhat a no-brainer, but giraffe?
It goes back to my first date with Gabe
which was at
the zoo.
The Northeast Wisconsin Zoo, that is, located in Green Bay, WI.
We were walking through the small zoo and came across this ramp that led to a lookout perched above the giraffe exhibit, where the staff was attracting a crowd to feed the giraffes.
We were a little out of place among the small kids accompanied by parents. Yet we --of course--had to feed the giraffes. Gabe bought us each a couple giraffe crackers and suggested I go first. The experience was similar to feeding an oatmeal cookie to a horse.
When it came time for Gabe's turn,
the opportunity for heroism presented itself quite gracefully as the kid who went after me became completely crestfallen at having used up her giraffe cookies, not to be replenished by stingy parents (although the crackers were a rip-off).
"Here ya go--" Gabe broke in, "You can have mine."
I thought it was another of many attempts to win my admiration and approval, but little did I know that his behavior characterized a genuine interest in people, not just a way to win the chivalry award from his date. Gabe would do that for anyone, anytime, even and especially now.
"We'll take a trip to the animal zoo, and laugh at all the funny things the animals do."
how very sweet!
ReplyDelete